Saturday, October 12, 2013

Turandot [Blu-ray]



Wonderful production of Turandot!
Just from the cover - Turandot, Maria Guleghina, the Arena Di Verona, and staged by Franco Zeffirelli - this DVD said "buy me" right off the bat. And was I ever grateful to receive it and pop it in my DVD player. It is excellent from start to finish.

Puccini's music is captivating and emotionally draws the listener in, and conductor Giuliano Carella's interpretation is just fantastic. I was already familiar with Maria Guleghina's abilities, having seen her in a previous production of Turandot, but here performance here is filled with nuances that really enable the viewer to empathize with her, particularly when Liu meets her untimely end and Turandot realizes what she has really done. Salvatore Licitra's performance as Calaf is very, very good, and it was refreshing to see him doing an encore of the Nessun Dorma as he did it so well - this type of encore being something not often seen in the United States where I live. And I don't know where to begin talking about...

Not as good as the "old" Met production with Eva Marton
I have both this production on Blu-ray and the old Met version from 1987, both staged by Franco Zefirelli. Both have Italian subtitles. The new version was filmed at the Arena of Verona and is spectacular. But I prefer the older version: Eva Marton is really the ice-cold princess while Maria Guleghina looks not just like an old maid, but also like an old woman (Blu-ray shows a lot that might better remain unseen). Placido Domingo is a better actor, sure of himself as a man. Leona Mitchell is the better Liu, ready to die for her love, and her death is far more moving that that of Tamar Iveri.

There are two awkward moments in the Verona production. The first one after Nessun Dorma: first the orchestra stops, then the public understands that they are supposed to applaud wildly, and they do; this seems pre-arranged to enable the tenor to get his fill of applause. The aria is then repeated. The second awkward moment is when Calaf kisses Turandot. He is a couple of inches...

Opera Reviews
I purchased this because I have bought other operas done in the same venue. The expansive setting was a wonder to behold, especially when the royal palace appears. Unbelievable gold and lighting of that set. So expansive. I have no arguments against any of the singing. I was only too happy let the prince answer the three questions. If I had to do so, I would have lost my head.

When I purchase an opera, I look for the staging, sets, and the camera work as well as the singing/orchestra. This met all those criteria.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment