Monday, October 7, 2013

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London [Blu-ray]



Mislabeled discs
ALERT! While this 2-disc set DOES offer Kylie's concert in Blu-Ray 3D, the discs themselves are mislabeled. Although everything indicates that Disc 1 contains 3D playback (right down to the Blu-Ray 3D logo), it's actually Disc 2 that contains the 3D concert. Boy, was I surprised by this mistake.

The 3D (once you get the right disc in your player) is surprisingly effective. You wouldn't think that a concert would lend itself to 3D, but thanks to the stage design and the use of dancers, there's a nice level of depth throughout. And (of course) Kylie herself is great.

You've never seen a concert experience like this!
I've seen many pop acts including Britney and Madonna. I have Kylie Minogue three times. The first being on her For You, For Me Tour and Aphrodite Live twice Stateside. I was not fortunate enough to see Les Folies (the bigger Aphrodite Live set with the huge catwalks and water show, which only toured in Europe and Asia) but this 3D experience is the closest thing I'll get to it!

As a few other reviewers mentioned, the two discs are mislabeled! The disc that does not say 3D is in fact the 3D disc. I'm not sure what went wrong there. But the concert in 3D is spectacular! "Spectacular" might be a under statement because I can't put into words how incredible this show is, especially in 3D. You should know that I am not a big fan of 3D things but watching this on my 3D TV and my 3D glasses makes it one hell of an experience. Kylie Minogue proves herself as an ultimate pop icon and goddess! She doesn't need the huge success in North America to prove this.

Please note...

Subpar to other Kylie tours but still great!
Having attended 3 of Kylie Minogue's tours, I had an idea of what I could expect, especially since creative partner William Baker was to produce the show: High production staging, incredible costume changes, and great live vocals. As any uber fan, I followed the tour, via Youtube, on every single one of the 77 stops.

Given her latest work, Aphrodite, I knew that there had to be some sort of element of water involved. I was in awe of the way water was incorporated into the show; there were at least 3 pools of water in which dancers and aerialists were dipped by harnesses. Water jets were applied throughout the extended stage which would be queued to shoot during choreographed numbers. Prior to the tour launch, it was announced that The Fountain People, a company known for their water shows in several Disney resorts and the Bellagio fountain shows would be working on the tour.

The Greek theme...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment