Monday, October 14, 2013

Pond Hockey (Two-Disc Combo: DVD + Digital Copy)



Takes you back
Growing up in Buffalo, New York it wasn't hard to find something frozen to skate on between December and March. The movie makes me proud of the fact that I am of a generation that learned so much from the outdoor game. You learned to skate on the slightly rougher surfaces of a pond or backyard rink. You stayed outside hours upon hours, working on stickhandling or your wrist shot....when you got your skates sharpened and first went out, those first few strides were euphoric! You would watch the Sabres or Hockey Night in Canada the night before and the following morning YOU WERE Gilbert Perreault or Bernie Parent. The movie takes you into the cold....into the friendships, into the endless energy you find. It was cold outside but you never got cold. This movie, quite frankly, is incredibly warming. "PondHockey" is innocent and beautiful in it's own way. The father's who put much time into flooding their yards and maintaining a rink for the neighborhood is practically unheard of today. (I...

"Iced it"! Pond Hockety
I first saw the film "Pond Hockey" in Iowa City, Iowa this summer at the Landlocked Film Festival and loved it! Having lived in upstate New York, which is also "hockey country", I was fascinated to watch the story unfold. This film was not just about following the National Pond Hockey championships, it was addressing the concern about the disappearance of the culture of pond hockey. The minute I viewed this film, I knew that it was a great film to buy for my brother-in-law who constructs his own pond to play hockey on each winter. When he unwrapped his Christmas gift, he was delighted and my sister reported that he watched the whole movie immediately and shared it with other pond hockey lovers in the family. In 28 years, this was the first time ever that I "iced it" when selecting a gift for my brother-in-law. Our family highly recommends this film to everyone who loves hockey and those who want to "catch their passion"!

A Must See!
Its hard to do a sports movie right, but these guys nailed it.This is one of those great rare finds. It's a must have for hockey fans, but also anyone who likes a great movie.

Pond Hockey captures the essence of what really matters most when playing a sport with friends. Movies like these get me excited to have my own children someday, and share this movie with them.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment