Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040: Complete Series (Classic)



Great Classic Mecha
I am so very glad I stopped dragging my feet and purchased the BGCT 2040 collection! I have some very fond memories of this version of the series -- it reawakened my love of anime and was wonderfully empowering to me as a female fan. (Priss inspired me to start riding motorcycles!) This is a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves things mecha. Even though it's got a strong female ensemble cast, the series is strong on action, gritty character development and great story. Although this is an 'older' title, it's aged fairly well; fluid animation in the fight scenes, good dub, and character designs that don't all look alike! At the price you just can't go wrong, so score a piece of anime history and enjoy.

This is great!
In 1987, there was an OVA called Bubblegum Crisis; a cyberpunk anime with heavy influence from films such as Bladerunner. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is not a sequel - but a remake of that OVA, released in 1998. Rather than being an OVA 2040 is a 26 episode anime. The collection in particular being reviewed is the Anime Classics box set released by Funimation. The set is 4 discs long, costs around $30 (unless you get ripped off like I did) and has very attractive packaging in my opinion. The only bad thing I have to say about this particular set is that the extra features menu consists of nothing but a clean opening and closing.

BGC2040 as I shall call it from here on out is, as I previously stated, cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is a genre of fiction taking place in the future where advanced technology is extremely prevalent and integrated, and artificial life or robots are common place. Some other good examples of cyberpunk anime are Akira and Ghost in the Shell. In the world of...

Knight Sabers FTW
I saw the trailer for this anime online and decided to buy it. At this time I'm half way through it and its great! I'm a huge mecha & cyberpunk fan and this anime is just what I wanted! I could not stop watching! Two things that I'm not a big fan of are the vocies for the cast and they made the suits look like they have heels...but I've gotten over them. I got it for 25$ which is fine with me.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment